Sunday, January 17, 2010

Welcome

My name is Beth Doyle. I have been a librarian since 1977 and am currently in my 17th year at Midway Park Elementary School in Euless, TX. I created this blog as part of an online professional development course - HEB23. Through HEB23 I will be learning many of the Web 2.0 tools that my three grown sons use.

I think it is important to stay current on the technology available today both for professional reasons and personal reasons. I will be able to use what I learn with my students and fellow faculty members, and will also be able to share them with my husband, mother and many siblings. It is my hope that other librarians will find ideas here that they can use in their own schools. Thanks for visiting. - - - BD

4 comments:

  1. Wow since 1977! You'll be my mentor in this field. Glad to do the 23 things with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got my MLS when I was 22-years-old. It helps when you've known since 9th grade what you wanted to do. Thank goodness I still love my job because it is nothing like the job I trained for. In many ways you newer librarians will be mentoring us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I REALLY like your idea of sharing great library lessons on this blog and I am looking forward to seeing the lessons which are posted!

    Focusing at the moment on the new Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List for 2011, I cannot wait to share _14 Cows for America_ with my students! Someone on TLC suggested using it for a lesson on peacemaking, and that is just what I plan to do.

    Each year I have presented a lesson to our 6th graders on famous peacemakers and becoming a peacemaker - learning to live peacefully with others. (During times of war, I have tried to tie in that we are fortunate to have a strong military system and leaders who work hard to protect us, and hopefully our current war can be ended soon.)

    I have an article I wrote to encourage these types of lessons and I submitted it for publication to a journal without success. Isn't it fun that we can self-publish on the web! I also have a bibliography and webliography of resources.

    I cannot figure out if it is possible to post these documents HERE so they can be shared. If someone can tell me how to do that, please help!
    In the meantime, I am going to go to my HEB podcast blog because I can think I can post them there. If you do not see them there, and would like me to email them to you, I will be glad to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE: my previous post, here is the link to find the resources I mentioned:

    http://podcast.hebisd.edu/users/zornm/blog/

    ReplyDelete